Over mij

Mijn foto
I'm a Dutch weaver, knitter, spinner, lacemaker and love anything that has to do with fiber and yarn. And of course I like to read books, magazines, newspapers.

vrijdag 13 augustus 2010

I is for...

De i: er zijn wel plaatsnamen, die met een i beginnen, maar toch koos ik voor wat anders: inspiratie, 'imagination'(=voorstellingsvermogen, fantasie) Waar zou ik zijn zonder die dingen?

The i: there are places, the names of which are beginning with i, but yet I chose for something different: inspiration, imagination. Where would I be without them?

Jaren geleden maakte ik deel uit van een groep, die in het Catharijneconvent in Utrecht inspiratie opdeed. We mochten in de depots en moesten een object kiezen, als inspiratie voor een textiele uitwerking. Ik was een van de wevers, maar er waren ook quilters en borduursters.
Een soortgelijke groep deed inspiratie op in het Westfries Museum in Hoorn, met name in de verzameling oude kostuums en de assesoires die daarbij hoorden.

Years ago I was part of a group, that looked for inspiration in the museum Catharijneconvent in Utrecht. We could go into the depots and had to choose one object from their collection, to inspire us in designing a textile object. I was one of the weavers, but there were also quilters and embroiderers.
A similar group came to the Westfries Museum in Hoorn, to find inspiration from their collection of old regional costumes and the assessories.
The museum

De poster, die de tentoonstelling van het gemaakte werk aankondigt.

The poster, announcing the exhibition of the work made by this group.

In onze omgeving werd vroeger een kanten kap gedragen, met een gouden oorijzer. Ook ik droeg deze hoofdbedekking, toen ik lid was van een folkloristische dansgroep - jaren geleden. De kostbare hoofdbedekking erfde ik van mijn voormoeders.

In the area where we live this lace cap was worn, with a golden band around the head, under the lace. I've worn this, when I was a member of a folklorisitc group - years ago. I inherited the precious headwear from one of my ancestors.

De deelnemers aan de tentoonstelling hadden de opdracht alleen in wit of rood te werken, en met hedendaagse materialen. Veelal kunststoffen uit de industrie. Heel stijf en moeilijk te verwerken. Hier de rode vitrine met hoofddeksels en ook met de kanten kap.

The participants of the exhibition had been asked to work in just white or red, using modern materials, usually used for industrial purposes. Very stiff and hard to work with. Here the red showcase, with also the lace cap.
En een rode hoed

And a red hat

Het rode werk leek me het best te bevallen. Hier een rode body met heel veel plooitjes.

I seemed to like the work in red best. Here a red body with lots of pleats.
en schoenen, gevilt, genaaid, geborduurd

and shoes, felted, sewn, embroidered
Maar goed, toch nog wat wit werk: de 'bruidstaart'

But ok: some white work as well: the 'bridal cake'

een kinderjurkje

a girl's dress

en smockwerk

and a smocked (?) dress

Er was nog veel meer, maar dit is alleen om een indruk te geven. Ik was enthousiast over de combinatie van de oude kostuums en de moderne uitvoering, en van de presentatie van het nieuwe werk, te midden van de museumstukken.

There was a lot more, but this is just to give an impression. I loved the combination of the old costumes and the modern equivalent, and the presentation of the new work in the middle of the museum pieces.

Al met al een heel inspirerend bezoek!

Altogether a very inspiring visit!

3 opmerkingen:

stringplay zei

What a wonderful exhibit! Thanks for sharing so many great pictures.

Sharon zei

What a wonderful opportunity, to have these to take inspiration from. Ian and I are addicted to an American TV show called Project Runway. My eyeballs pop out of my head as I watch their creativity. I did that at the fair yesterday, looking at the work of others. There was a bag of woven cotton strips that's on my horizon!

Amanda zei

Amazing and I can see why you find it inspiring.